Wednesday, March 3, 2010

recovery struggles

i have been struggling to recover this week from the past weekend:

Friday 9 miles and a good day of resort skiing (decent pow in the morning)
Saturday 40 miles mostly on trail
Sunday 10 miles too fast

In looking at the past weekend I realize that I ran too hard on Sunday. I meant to keep it slow, but ended up finding myself in an idiotic race against myself. The worst part of this day was that I ran on pavement and beat my body up way more than necessary. The repercussions have been felt all week as I have struggled a bit with both motivation and physical strength. The most annoying aspect has been the fact that my achilles tendonitis has flared up for the first time in a couple of months . . . I had been feeling very confident about my overall health recently, but since the run on Sunday my achilles has been nagging me with reminders of the risks involved in pushing limits . . . was able to throw together a moderate tempo run today, but am still waiting my first real trail run since the weekend -- hoping to put together a good double climb tomorrow or friday depending on the weather . . . should have generally done this run already but don't want to force the recovery period more than necessary.

Reading over what I have written the basic point seems to be a certain amount of laziness has crept in during this week . . . why is it that sometimes the hardest week for me is the recovery week . . . I am currently using a 4 week system that involves a minimal amount of increasing milage (for example from 70 to 80 during the 3 climbing weeks -- where the highest prior week to the cycle would have been 75) with a recovery week for the 4th (in the case of the above example 50) . . . my plan is to continue this base creation through the buffalo 50 . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment